Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

8 wonderful years!

March 17, 2001...a day that changed my life forever. I married John Herring. We met officially on December 31, 1999 at a New Year's Eve Party hosted by Christy Treat's mom and dad. I say "officially" because John and I went to CBC at the same time, however, he was a senior and I was a freshman and we just never met up. Then the summer of 1999, I sang in a Praise Band at the church he was on staff at the time. I remember when he got up to speak, I just had this sobering feeling come over me. I know God was preparing me to meet up with him again.


On the night of the New Year's Eve Party, John and I met each other on the stairs. We talked about where we knew each other from and I ask him to come down stairs and play games with us. We had a great time that night and I hoped that we would see each other again. The next Wednesday night at church I asked Christy about John. She said he was available and she asked if she could give him my phone number. She called Kristen, his sister-in-law, and gave her my phone number. Kristen asked John if there was anyone at the party that he was interested in. Thank goodness he said me! She said, "If I give you her phone number, will you call her?" He said he would and we had our first date January 7, 2000. We dated 9 months, he proposed on October 7, 2000 and we were married March 17, 2001. I remember after our first date, I came home to my roommates, Arlyn and Lisa, and said, "If I don't marry John Herring, I want to marry someone just like him."
John Herring is a wonderful man. He is a child of God and lives for Him everyday. He loves me and shows me and tells me that everyday. He is a wonderful daddy to Dalton. He loves Oasis Church and loves reaching people for Christ. He enjoys the outdoors, playing games, playing the bass guitar, trumpet, violin, and french horn. I began praying for my future husband in the 10th grade and John is everything I prayed for and more. He is my best friend. I love coming home to him everyday and living my life with him.
John is very good at writing poems. He has written several for me, but my all time favorite is the first one he wrote for me while we were dating that he gave me on my birthday. I loved it so much I memorized it. Here it is:
My Answered Prayer

Long ago I prayed a prayer
that the Lord would let me share
my life with one who would truly care
and together we would make a pair.

Often times I stand in awe
of God from whom all blessings fall
He gave me more than hay or straw
He gave me his treasure when you I saw.

Very soon I would realize
what I almost failed to recognize
that when I looked into your eyes
my answered prayer materialized.

Everyday I thank my Lord
for bringing you into my world
And now I know I can't afford
to live without you
I never could.

I love you, babe! Thanks for a wonderful 8 years. I look forward to many more!

2 comments:

Dawne C. said...

You guys are a great example of a godly couple that daily praises God from whom all blessings flow. I love watching you and your great example.

The Sassy Chickadee said...

Congrats on 8 years. I love reading what you have to say about your husband. Not many can say such great things about their partner. Hope you have a great Spring break.